Friday, August 17, 2012

A bowl full of lemons.: Home organization 101...

A bowl full of lemons.: Home organization 101...: The kids are in school and the house is a mess!  Sound familiar?   Its been almost 2 years since I created my 21 day challenge , so I w...

Sunday, July 29, 2012

I made a top!

Let me start off by saying I am not a seamstress by any measure. My entire history of sewing consists of a variety of Barbie clothes, a tissue box cover in the Junior School and an apron. So saying I'm pretty damn chuffed with myself is an understatement.

I started off with the overgarment drafting tutorial by BurdaStyle with the intention of making a hoodie. Fearing the worst, I decided to "try it out" on some R15/m (about...1.2 pounds per metre) fabric I had lying around. Unfortunately said fabric turned out to be stretchy (or knit, as I know now), which complicated matters.

After basting it together (yay I knew my Gr.7 needlework skills would be up to good use), I started... modifying, as I ALWAYS do. Luckily in this case it all worked out in the end.

I did however cut the fabric of the body wrong, so the stretch goes vertical instead of horizontal, the colour is unfortunately similar to that of jeans and I'm still contemplating whether to add embroidery somewhere to it or not.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Project Run and Play: Time to Vote! Week #1--Circle Skirt Pattern Remix...

Yes! I managed to catch the start of Run and Play this season.

Project Run and Play: Time to Vote! Week #1--Circle Skirt Pattern Remix...: It's time to vote!!!!!  There are 8 contestants so make sure you scroll all the way down to see all of their designs.  The poll is in the l...

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Shabby Chic Cabinet

[Forgive the quality of the photos, my computer crashed and this one only has Paint.]

So my husband and I recently moved house (again), hopefully for the last time in a looong while. For the first time we're not renting, so I can actually DO something to the place.

I'll be adding some photos on here as we make changes, but first up, something small!

A while ago we bought a set of bedside tables from a second-hand shop with the intention of repainting them to match my room. Sadly I never got around to it and by now I had already decided that I dislike their shape as well as their colour.

I eventually found perfect ones to replace them and decided to redo one of them as a bathroom cabinet.

First, I sanded the whole thing down. I didn't try remove the paint except on the corners.

Then I painted the whole thing with a light grey paint that I had a sample of (for my waaalls!)

After that dried I sanded it down lately. Then I diluted some white wall paint about 50/50 and painted over the grey. With both the grey and the white I tried to keep my brush strokes in the same direction, in an attempt to fake some wood grain.

After the white had dried a -little- a took a cloth and wiped it off, in areas where the paint was still too wet (and thus wiped off completely) I just repainted and waited.

I decided to varnish the end product, even though the paint I used didn't really need it. I wouldn't do it again, the varnish was horrible to work with (being non-water based) and it added a brownish tint to the corners.

Here's the end product: